Northwest Indiana Suicide Prevention Council
The NWI Suicide Prevention Council is a group of individuals and organizations dedicated to suicide prevention. The Council is diverse and represented by universities, mental health care centers, education centers, schools, hospitals, support groups and more. Since 2006, members have been meeting to share information, develop goals, new projects and analyze our progress.
The Northwest Indiana Suicide Prevention Council is an open group and anyone is welcome to attend meetings.
The council members offer suicide prevention and intervention trainings to communities, schools and workplaces in Lake County, LaPorte County, Porter County, Newton County and Jasper County.
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST) is for everyone 16 or older, who wants to be able to provide suicide first aid.
- SafeTALK- A half-day alertness training that prepares anyone over the age of 15, regardless of prior experience or training, to become a suicide-alert helper.
- Question.Persude.Refer. As a QPR-trained Gatekeeper you will learn to recognize the warning signs of suicide, know how to offer hope and, know how to get help and save a life.
- S.O.S- Signs of Suicide Prevention Program is a universal, school-based depression awareness and suicide prevention program designed for middle-school or high-school students.
- Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour course that teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substances use disorder. The training can be tailored specifically to those working with adults, those who work with youth and also those working with veterans and their families.
- Raw Coping Power- Stress management training for the workplace.
Mariaelena Trejo: 219-757-1849
Serving Northwest and Northern Indiana, Regional Health Systems supports programs in Benton, Jasper, Lake, LaPorte, Newton, Porter, Pulaski and Starke Counties and manages facilities in Cedar Lake, East Chicago, Gary, Hammond, Highland, Hobart, Lake Station, Merrillville, Valparaiso and Whiting, Indiana.
Our network of community-based health care and social services welcomes Indiana residents of all ages and income levels with fully integrated, streamlined services.